Thursday, January 3, 2013

Jeff Divine Surf Photography


For Christmas I got the colorfully wonderful and inspiring photography book Surfing Photographs From the Seventies by Jeff Divine. Best gift ever! And the best cure for the dreary days of the dead of winter of which we are experiencing at the moment. Nothing like sunshine, miles of blue seas and deep tans to warm someone up in an instant. The sense of youth, liveliness and pure passion and love of that mountainous adrenaline rush that comes with riding that perfect wave comes across perfectly clear in each and every photograph that Jeff Divine captured of his peers.

Even though I'm not a surfer myself, though I do want to try at it someday, I connect with the enthusiasm and freedom that is projected at me when I look at Divine's body of work. I can almost taste the sea salt on my tongue. I can nearly feel the long board below my feet and the sand between my toes. It's funny to think that these laid back lovers of the wild, wild ocean were thought of as "hippies" or "rebels" back in the day. And that before Divine and other photographers came onto the scene, surfing was sort of a hidden, mystical art that only the few and daring took part in. And that because of the risks Divine took with his photography, the world of hanging ten became known to the common crowd. And look where the sport is now. Brands like Quiksilver and Hurley keep the sport alive, incorporating fashion, art and culture into the swing of it all at the same time. It's a beautiful thing.

One 2013 resolution that I have for myself:  Learn how to surf. Let's make it happen.

17 comments:

yonosoyunaitgirl said...

Nice pics! XX

Orchid Grey said...

These are beautiful, this book is on my wishlist for sure. You might be interested in the tin type work by Joni Sternbach, she also has a book called SurfLand that is amazing.

Bobiknannie said...

Beautiful photos! :) My big dream is to learn how to surf! I hope my dream will become a reality soon :D

Gita said...

Oh that's cool. Thanks for sharing, I'll deff cheok out his work!

xx
http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

Mandy said...

These remind me of my dad. He was an avid surfer and even looks like the guy in the 5th picture. We used to live in Waikiki. I'm pretty sure that's why he moved us there. :)
Nestled in Nostalgia

monkeyshines ♥ said...

gorgeous photos!

Bises,
monkeyshines
http://monkeyshines-monkeyshines.blogspot.com/

fran said...

amazing post. i really love it
fran

NEW LOOK: STRIPES AND CAREY
http://showroomdegarde.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/stripes-in-beautiful-winter-day.html

Stolen from Grandma said...

his work is incredible! Makes me wish i could surf too, i'm hoping rachel can teach me come british summer haha :P Hope you had a lovely new year dylana! xxx

Lindsey said...

I love old surfing pictures and documentaries. Endless Summer, anyone? Being from San Diego you get a lot of surf culture, and although I don't surf quite a few people in my family do, and I've always wanted to learn. I just love the culture of it all.

http://the-fashion-barbie.blogspot.com/

Laura said...

Great photography


Xx
http://Lauralexo.blogspot.com

Alex-Rose said...

Lovely pics, such a splash of colour! xxxx happy new year xxxx

http://rainingcakeandcookies.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeans Please! said...

omg love this!

Seeking Style said...

these are beautiful photographs :)

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Rory said...

Such cool photos!! I'm taking photojournalism as a class next year at school and can't wait. This just gets me even more excited! :)
Rory
www.WearAboutsBlog.com
Enter my Fifth and Orient giveaway and check back everyday this week for ANOTHER new giveaway!

Mariana Glez said...

Hermosas fotografías.
Feliz año nuevo.!!

sharon noël said...

What a fun gift!! These pics make me crave the warm sun and beach. Too bad its 10 degrees out!!

:p Happy New Year!

www.simplylovelyxo.blogspot.com

Josephine Bond said...

Surfing is one of the best feelings in the world. That moment when you first manage to stand up (for, most likely, all of 10 seconds) can never be beaten. It's like you're on a rollercoaster, but better, because you're in control and it's your hard work that got you there. Surfing is all about adrenaline and fun and the sea. My new year's resolution last year was to learn to surf and I can honestly say it was one of the best things I've ever done!