Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bring Me Down to Chinatown


Anthropologie jacket, MINPINK floral blouse from Wasteland, H&M stripe top, Urban Outfitters jeans, Natalie & Dylana Suarez x Modern Vice officer boots, Moni Moni bag, Free People sunglasses, Nine West scarf

You know me and my love for all things Asian. It's the half-Chinese in me that prefers the spicier things in life. I love that I can always rely on Chinatown in NYC to never let me down when it comes to stimulating all the senses. The vibrancy, the movement, the people, the food, the colors. Every Chinatown I have ever been to has been a mishmash of culture and liveliness. People come to gather and catch up, to revel with each other over food and laughter, to pick out that week groceries and stock up on delectable snacks in cutesy packaging that you buy more to look at and admire than to devour. The vision of a big round table full of family and friends and plate upon plate of every dish on the menu and that reliable pot of chili oil in the center is always at the forefront of my mind, and it brings back so many memories of my childhood growing up. I feel very lucky that I was raised to get to know my Chinese roots very well and to infuse it into my everyday life. My mom cooked almost every meal, and most of the time it was something Asian and deliciously hot and spicy. Always an adventure for the taste buds. There was nothing I wanted more than a big plate of stir fried noodles or curry chicken over white rice after a long day at school. It was all so second nature to me. The feeling of familiarity I get whenever I visit Chinatown or Southeast Asia to see family is always so comforting to me and makes me want to explore this part of roots even more so. There is still so much for me to learn and to see and to make a part of me. I'm dreaming of the next time I can go back to Asia and explore again and really take it all in. Walking that Great Wall of China is #1 on my list of travel adventure do's.What places and things give you the urge to travel and explore??

30 comments:

The Fancy Teacup said...

Always love venturing into Chinatown--the mixture of vibrant colors and patterns in your look is super pretty. x

www.TheFancyTeacup.com

Londyn said...

Love this! Such fun pictures.

fashion-meets-art said...

fantastic look. love it.
lovely greets
maren anita

FASHION-MEETS-ART by Maren Anita

Reptilia said...

LOVE your look!! cool sunnies!


http://www.justreptilia.com

xx

Laura said...

Nice post!

XX
www.Lauralexo.com

FashionFlirt said...

The photos are amazing! Love your outfit! And your sunglasses are so so cool girl :)

http://fashionflirtblog.blogspot.de/

monkeyshines ♥ said...

fabulous jacket!

monkeyshines
http://monkeyshines-monkeyshines.blogspot.com/

Andrea said...

i love your jacket!

Jeans Please! said...

Love ur sweater! Looks so cozy!

Domonique Wilson said...

I love how busy it is, with lot's going on! I definitely think my own curiosity drives the traveller within me. I'm always wondering what's going on somewhere in the world.

x

Juliette Laura said...

Such awesome photos, you are toooo cool.

xoxo
Juliette Laura
juliettelaura.blogspot.com

Seeking Style said...

I can't even handle how fab you are!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Carmen Carrasco Raya said...

Beautiful photos. Love the outfit.
http://www.carmencarrascoblog.blogspot.com

Oroma Roxella Rukevwe said...

Love your cardi and the pattern mixing going on on the top half bit of your outfit




New Outfit Post: Personal Style Blog By ORR

Michaela said...

Every time I read a New York blog post, I just want to head over to Heathrow and just go. Sigh. However I love your outfit, the texture combinations are lovely!

anurbanexplorer said...

the layering of this outfit is just too awesome. photos are also super inspiring <3

XOXOJOANNIE
ANURBAN-EXPLORER.BLOGSPOT.COM

Paige said...

Love the photographs! Your cardigan is so cute! x

http://www.heldtogetherbypins.blogspot.co.uk/

Paris said...

You are always such a babe. I have such fond memories of visiting China Town in Honolulu when I was a kid. I used to love trying all of the exotic candies in the shops. <3

Angel In This Dress said...

I always love your posts *swoons* What camera and lenses do you use? I love the dreamy effect of your photography, it's so classic and timeless! x x

Kacie Cone said...

I'm so jealous of your style! You always look so effortlessly perfect!!

Am2Pm Chic said...

Awesome photos, and I love your cardigan, so cute.
xoxo
Christy

http://www.am2pmchic.com/

Kelly said...

Ooooh loving the print mixing and that jacket! Also, the sunnies. :)

xoxo
Sequins & Shadows"

wllwproject said...

Your vibrant outfit absolutely matches up with the vibes of Chinatown. I'm a sucker for beautiful visuals so when I see a great piece on beautiful resorts or huts on websites like honestlywtf (which happens to be a favourite of mine btw) I just wanna pack up and go!

Christina Marie said...

Great photos! I love Chinatown.

xx
www.naturally-christina.blogspot.com

casper+pearl said...

amazing jacket, loving your blog at the moment!
would love to see you wearing casper&pearl one day!

lots of love from the c&p girls,
casper&pearl blog
xx

Sabina said...

Great outfit though I had a tough time taking my eyes away from the boots!

Rebecca Maturi said...

Hallo,
thank you for following. I adore the USA. Your pictures make me dream. In june I will go to California, Long Beach. Can't wait.
Greeting from Italy
Rebecca

Lucia Flores said...

Oh, I wish we had something like China town here in Amsterdam! I love all things Asian as well. You are so lucky to have it!

XOXO from the Netherlands,
Lucia

❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

http://luciafloresdesigndiary.blogspot.com

reeseaviana said...

I really like your outfit as well as the way you project it. Keep it.

---> http://www.sevenwholesale.com/product-templateakamens.shtml

Camille said...

these are quite nice, too... not just photos of your clothes, but about your mini jaunt in China Town. they are natural and lovely, and that coat...