Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Coachella 2013 // Day 1

Free People tank and cutoff shorts, vintage vest and belt, Vanessa Mooney necklace from Free People, Vintage Shoe Co. ankle boots, random backpack bought in Soho, Free People sunglasses, cuff and body paint

First official update from Coachella ella ella. Wahooooooooo! I'm back in Philly after a beautifully rock and rolling 4-day weekend in Indio, California to cover Coachella with Free People. I was joined with my sister Natalie, Free People bloggers Brigette and Julia, Lindsey from Stylebistro.com, Alyx from Australia's The Vine, Jenni from I Spy DIY, and our lovely Free People PR Manager Katelyn! We stayed in a gorgeous residential house in Palm Springs, decorated Free People style, where we lounged by the pool and worked on our tans while sipping sangria in the morning before heading out to the festival just in time to see a bunch of our favorite bands. I was literally living in a desert dream this past weekend. The weather was hot and luxurious, and the vibe was liberating and undeniably California. It was so nice to be back in my home state, even if it was just for a little while. More to come about the Free People house, but let's move onto the MUSIC!

We got made sure we had an earlier start at Coachella on Friday since we had to pick up our media passes beforehand. Coachella is always such a scene. I love people watching. The free birds roaming the festival grounds is such a site. So much dancing, so many smiles, thousands of hands in the air, a legit amount of bare skin. I was in my zone. We started off the day with Divine Fits and Metric to start getting in that ok-i'm-going-to-party-state-of-mind, then zoomed off to catch Of Monsters and Men at the Outdoor Stage, who were simply spectacular. The crowd was feeling their upbeat and folksy tunes so hard. The emotion was just so positive at their show. The Outdoor Stage was THE STAGE to be at Friday night. Or at least I like to think so. As soon as Monsters of Men finished, we went to find the rest of our crew and brought them to have their minds blown away by Local Natives. I recently saw the band play in Philly a few weeks ago, and what they create on stage together is pure magic. The drums, the vocals, the triumphant guitar riffs. It was a delight to sing along to all their songs again with my new friends friends. After Local Natives, we decided to stay for Beach House. I've heard a lot about Beach House but never really took the chance to listen to their music much, so I was surprised to totally vibe with their sound. So chill and dreamy, and the lead singer reminded me so much of Stevie Nicks with her flowing hair and deep vocals. I danced my my hands in the air and also lied down with my eyes closed during their set, imagining pretty colors swirling in my head. Adding Beach House to my Indulgence list pronto.

Theeeeeeennnnn, of course we had to see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Like, duh. Karen O. is probably the coolest leading lady ever alternative rock history. She worked those metallic pants and acid blonde bob. Girl's got moves and a screech I wouldn't mind listening to for days. Finally after so many years of head bobbing to them during my long car rides home after work in Cali, I got to thoroughly enjoy them live. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are dynamite. We took a sweet turn back at the Outdoor stage afterwards for Band of Horses. They are good old All American rock, but I couldn't help but hold my breath and cry just a little when they played Funeral and No One's Gonna Love You. Shit, I think I'm crying a little right now just writing this. Two of my most favorite heart-wrenching songs. To finally hear them live hit me deep. Gah. Still feeling shivers. By the end of Band of Horses we were all getting a little cranky due to lack of sleep and too much sun exposure, but we couldn't help ourselves as we walked by the overcrowded scene that was the audience at Jurassic 5 (back at the Outdoor Stage, of course). Base heavy hip hop that you just have to dance to no matter what is always an A+ in my book. We all passed out from tiredness hard that night, but it was all worth it. What a freaking good start to Coachella 2013!
My first day outfit was meant to beat the heat and capture the Western-esque place my head was in at the time. Free People's cutoff shorts are always my favorite. A little slouchy and perfectly frayed in all the right places. Cutoffs are festival worthy in every way.

Who else went? Who did you see? Who did you love most??


Fashiable said...

You're absolutely wearing the best festival outfits ever, together with your sister :)

♥♥Fashion-LadyLovely♥♥ said...

Wow I love this festival..X
great look girl..perfect

Londyn said...

Wow - super fun pics! Looks like a great time.

Christina Marie said...

So jealous!
Great pics!


Kacie Cone said...

Wow first day and it already looks/sounds amazing! Cannot wait to see more from your trip :)

Inspiration partout said...

Amazing photos and outfits!!!Looks like you had a great time!

Sarah // FASHION DOTTY said...

Awesome pics and you guys look beautiful as ever. This post makes me genuinely upset that I'm not going to a festival this summer, but at least I'm seeing the YYYs next month!

Lucia Flores said...

Too bad I couldn't make it ;), boohoo! I've heard so many great things about Coachella. Pictures are amazing, beautiful!

XOXO from the Netherlands,

❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤


Juliette Laura said...

First of all, your writing is incredible. Second of all, so are these photos. I love your outfit! The style in these photos is incredible! I've got to go next year! Also, just turned on a song by Beach House, already addicted. You're so rad! Thanks for sharing!!!

Juliette Laura

Seeking Style said...

You have the best coachella style!

xo Jennifer


Xenia said...

You looks so amazing! Coachella just sounds so perfect. I am dying to go one day!



Paint Me Blooming said...

You surely know how to rock the place darling!
I love how casual but so cool your whole outfit is :)


Vicky Perper said...

oh lucky youu!!
I would love to be there hun!


Victoria said...

Oh man I wish I was there!
You sistas are a couple of cutie patooties! It makes me miss my sis.
Lookin' great as always. :)


Victoria said...

Oh and Local Natives! So jealous!

monkeyshines ♥ said...

amazing capture!


Paige said...

OH MY GOD! Gorgeous photos! SO jealous though reading this post!! x


EmerJa said...

I see you are enjoying it a lot!! :) Nice pictures, like your spirit.


Eat.Style.Play said...

sounds like an amazing time!!

Sue said...

Awesome pics,would've love to be there

Monse Fuentes said...

cool pictures!!

El Blog de Monse
El Blog de Monse
El Blog de Monse

fran said...

in love with your blog and your sisters


Rosalinda Tjioe said...

You sisters are so chic. Looks like you had loads of fun! xx


Constance said...

You and your sister have the best style ever, and definitely my fav Coachella look.
I love the picture with the guy and his Giraf!


wanderings of a little soul said...

oh, i love it!
you look so fresh and beautiful!


Jeans Please! said...

Beautiful pics

Oroma Roxella Rukevwe said...

Looks so much fun <3

Personal Style Blog By ORR

Alexa said...

I'm SO jealous you guys got to go! It's my dream! The style is incredible, so unique and boho. That's what I like most.




Six Feet From The Edge - Debbie said...

LOOOVE this post! You looked absolutely stunning and I really like that pic with your sis :)


sweet harvest moon said...

Loving your outfit and the picture with your sister!

Looks like a wonderful time!

Linda Pili said...

can't believe I missed this fun.. well, next year maybe.. You look great !

Carmo said...

you must have had a great time :) and you look beautiful!! :)


Wendy Ayche said...

I love that outfit!!
Much love,

lifeisamaze said...

It looks so amazing !

starznmyeize said...

The necklace Natalie is wearing is Golden Dreamed from www.loveandleather.com! <3