Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Getty Center


___

Cynthia Vincent dress // SHOP HERE
Stephanie Podasca scarf from Antoinette Vintage // SHOP SIMILAR
Karen Scott necklace // SHOP HERE
___

A highlight of my trip home this past month was a visit to my beloved Getty Center museum in West Los Angeles. Back when I was a student at UCLA and still living near campus, I went nearly every single weekend. I always wanted to catch a new rotating exhibit (specifically the photography exhibits teehee), or just take in the view; the Pacific Ocean in the near distance. This place never let's me down with its white and blunt architectural lines. Modernism against a classic zen garden placement. It inspires me! Every twist and turn and stairway in this place counts. Every shadow against it's stone walls a work of art. We decided to walk up to the museum instead of taking the tram. This gave us far more time to take in the view along the way, homes spread out across the hills like budding flowers. 

There was so much I rediscovered about Los Angeles during this trip. Things that I forgot about after living on the east coast for nearly four years. I hate driving, but man did I forget how much I love blasting that radio and playing my old mix CD's on long drives during sunset. Backlit rows of palm trees that seem nearly unreal in the moment. So much time spent outside. Going on hikes with friends and family. Feeling the sun on my front porch. Slowing down work and just taking the time to read a book or watch a documentary at night instead of going out. It certainly was a rejuvenating vacation. 

I mean, I'm not going to miss the endless traffic that exists throughout the city. One of the most draining factors of my post-college existence. Nor will I miss the underlying beat of the "Young Hollywood" lifestyle that is hard to turn your head away from. Los Angeles. A place where the hunger for youth, fame and prestige blatantly throws itself in your face around just about every corner. Always entertaining. Not that NYC isn't the same, but in a different way that I can't really seem to describe. I guess it just feels easier here. And because of that it feels more glamourous. Life is slower, but just as high maintenance. The beautiful, the sunny, the beach-ridden. Every hour is a happy hour in Los Angeles it seems. The palm trees like totems of longevity which can be absorbed into your system just by putting them into your line of vision. 

Not sure if I can ever once again call Southern California home again, but I enjoy dipping myself in it every now and then (this time for nearly a good whole month!). Growing up on the outskirts of Los Angeles has taught me a lot of what I like and what I don't like. Always nice to know that it welcomes me back with open arms each and every time. 



Shop the look:

19 comments:

Natali said...

So many beautiful photos! The way how you talk about LA makes me SO excited to move there this Spring! New life and adventure awaits for me! :)

http://lartoffashion.blogspot.com

Sandra said...

You are perfect!
XX

mariel janina said...

looks like such a lovely place Dylana <3

http://amelodyofdiaries.blogspot.co.uk/

Dana said...

Looks like a beautiful day! Thanks for sharing :)

Edina Pakozdi said...

Your family is so cute! Adore your look, everything is just perfect about it, the fringe dress, the tiny silk scarf and ohh,,the necklace is just beautiful!

Printed or Plain

IYL said...

Love the photos! Especially the one with your eyes closed / pulling your hair. So quirky and artsy!

http://www.theavantguardian.com

Kaley Beery said...

LOVE that fringe top!! I have a jacket similar to that, I need to wear it!

xoxo

Kaley

My Closet Life Blog

Rhiannon Lorenzo said...

great photos!

www.amoderngypsy.blogspot.com

Carmen Ri said...

Your fringed jacket is amazing! I love how you described Southern California - for someone who's never been, I can really imagine what the atmosphere is like there!

Carmen Ri.

Liz Lauren said...

I love the getty -- it's right across the street from my moms house

giveaway on my blog

http://hashtagliz.com

Laura Mitbrodt said...


I love your fringe jacket
xo
www.laurajaneatelier.com

Stephanie said...

So beautiful love it there!

x
StephC

http://sstephcc.blogspot.com/

Jeanne said...

I can't get enough of fringes! Your dress is perfect Dylana! And your pictures so cool: beautiful place and family pictures! ;)
♥♥♥
Jeanne
http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

Denisa said...

Wow, amazing pics.
http://www.fashiondenis.com

Jane said...

As usual, in love with the photos <3

Annie Dreyer said...

What beautiful photos!!!! That's so cool you went to UCLA!
xx
Annie
www.the-lostangeles.blogspot.com

Nikki Williams said...

stunning photos!

xx nikki
www.dream-in-neon.com

Carmen Henry said...

Beautiful scenery :)

http://www.theartofvintagerevival.com

Holly Rose said...

Such beautiful pictures, looks like a wonderful place! I can't wait to visit there someday! Love the outfit xx
Summer,

http://the-twins-wardrobe.blogspot.com/