Wednesday, June 3, 2015

El Yunque National Forest | Puerto Rico

Believe it or not, nature is one of my most favorite things to photograph. It brings a sense of calm over me, from my head to toes. Starting with my eyes and my nose. The colors, so deep and mysterious with bursts of tones you see nly once in a blue moon. The smell, so fresh and so clean and so earthy. A smell so unique that nothing can be compared. A signal turns on in my head . . . a great appreciation and absolute love for something so deeply rooted and born of the earth. So widespread and perpetually in motion. A motion so calm that we hardly even notice it, but can still feel it's strength. A strength so much greater than us, but that inspires us to stand still a little longer. Like the trunk of a tree. Firm yet open to everything above it. I am captured by nature's beauty. The arch of a leaf. The waxy skin covered in dew drops that reflect my pupils as I lean in close. The millions of tones of green that make you feel like anything is possible A green so much more valuable than any wad of cash. The steady rhythm of a nearby waterfall. The slow and random rhythm of the water dropping down onto my shoulders from the canopies above. The heavy drum of a sporadic tropical rain shower that cleanses away all worries and injects a new wave of life into the jungle. It echoes its own quietness, but if you listen closely, the conversation between dirt, roots, water and sky never end. You feel it in your bones. 

The El Yunque rainforest in Puerto Rico was such a phenomenal experience. Nearly meditative. It WAS meditative. It brought me down to earth. Literally and figuratively. It reminded me how much we must appreciate the earth we live on and how much we must treat it well. It gives us so much without us asking. It just asks to be appreciated and protected. With every breath I took under the canopies and surrounded by the waxy leaves and winding vines, I connected with something that a lot of times seems unattainable in the city I currently live in and call home. Home really is the nature that is around us. Quietly simple and intricate all at the same time. It makes me want to take off all my makeup, let me hair hang free and tangled and take my shoes off so I can feel every inch of earth beneath my feet. No feeling can compete with this. 

Photos taken by me at El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico. 


The Fashion Lotus said...

Beautiful! One of my favorite places to visit in the world!

AVY said...

Ah, that non-silent silence. Lovely.


Jolijn said...

Beautiful pictures! I really love the dark colours mixed with those pops of red.

Am2Pm Chic said...

Beautiful photos.

Jennifer said...

Stunning. The deep, dark tones in the background really are captivating!! You have quite the eye!

Marta González Rubio said...

These photos are really beautiful, they should be on a travel magazine. I can feel the nature power and I feel the freedom

Monica said...

Gorgeous photos Dylana, thanks for sharing!:)

Rachel Ang said...

beautiful photos and beautifully written.

Rachel x

family tours of italy said...

This is just gorgeous !*love* it all as the messages, the pictures and the quality of the writing. Thanks !