Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Nothing Less At All


We Are Handsome swimsuit // SHOP SIMILAR
Hudson Jeans boyfriend shorts // SHOP HERE

For a really, really, really long time I refused to wear a swimsuit without padding in the chest area. That's how conscious I was of my small bust. I remember being 13 years old and piling on the extra foam cups that I stole from my mom's swimsuits into my own bikini. I'd strut to the pool with my friends, a noticeable larger cup size, trying to impress the lifeguard with my faux womanly curves. The only way we thought we could be attractive to men was if we were bountiful in a certain region and a certain region only. Even my mom with her full (very full) C cups, would remind me of how lacking I was in that division. Hoping for the day she could take me "real" bra shopping. Never happened. But those foam cups could only go so far. As we got older, and my friends go bustier, I stayed the same to much dismay.  I did quickly and surprisingly learn that not all boys only cared about my boob size. But even with a boy who didn't care that I was just an A cup to swing my arms around, I still felt that same self-conscious stab of insecurity. Even today I sometimes feel it. The feeling is rare, but it comes out to play every now and then. I'm 27 years old. Some may call me still very young. Others not so much. Physically, I may just have a little more than I did when I was 13, but I feel ten thousands times more like a woman. Never in my life has I ever felt more confident in my own skin. With my own body. With the muscles I've developed from days out on long runs and at the gym and on the yoga mat. With my imperfections that used to cloud my mind, but that now make me feel free and unique. I don't wear things to hide what I am lacking; I wear things to show how much I love my body for the way it was born to be. I no longer feel the urge to slouch. Instead, my shoulders are back. And it doesn't matter if my neckline is low and I have no bra on at all. It doesn't matter if my swimsuit hugs my every crevice and especially so where no curves reside. What is mine is mine and they were meant to be that way. Give what is yours the credit and love it deserves and nothing less. Nothing less at all. 

Shop more We Are Handsome swimsuits that I adore:


Liz Lauren said...

that swimsuit is great

Frannie Pantz said...

From the bottom of my (also small chested) heart, I thank you SO MUCH for posting this. You are beautiful and I love your blog--the fashion and the photos and the writing.

Summer Read said...

This is such an inspirational post. Thank you so much for writing this. I'm 20 and trying to embrace my looks and the things I feel self-conscious about, and bloggers like yourself who learn to love who they are and what they look like inspire me so much! You're beautiful Dylana! xx

Liv said...

I need that swim suit in my life. Amazing.


sonia said...

Bathing suits so pretty and looks really good on you .

Laura Mitbrodt said...

your swimsuit is so cute, I love the print

Rachel Ang said...

Beautiful post! you are awesome! and always inspiring!

Rachel x

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. It was beautiful.

thiang said...

Love that brand the Best !!