Wednesday, September 9, 2015

To Truly Perceive

 ___

Paige Denim shirt // SHOP SIMILAR
Vintage denim skirt
Vintage leather belt
LACOSTE leather sneakers // SHOP SIMILAR
Marie Turnor leather backpack // SHOP SIMILAR
Luiny bangle bracelet
___

"One of the most satisfying experiences I know is just fully to appreciate an individual in the same way I appreciate a sunset. When I look at a sunset … I don’t find myself saying, 'Soften the orange a little on the right hand corner, and put a bit more purple in the cloud color' . . .  I don’t try to control a sunset. I watch it with awe as it unfolds. It is this receptive, open attitude which is necessary to truly perceive something as it is."

- Carl Rogers

I recently came across this quote and I loved it because it rang so true to me. And especially this summer, which for me at least, has been all about opening myself to new people and experiences.This summer has been full of new friendships that I have welcomed warmly because of the good I feel from them. Some friendships have dwindled because of certain reasons. Most of which of the latter were relationships and friendships that showed no balance or personal growth on my part, and in which I found myself wanting to change the person but failing horribly at it. Sometimes I miss these people that I have cut out of my life. But just parts of these people. And I've come to realize that the people that I don't have the desire to change or mold, are the ones I should keep the closest. 

But still, the fact of the matter is that nobody is perfect in actuality, not even a sunset sometimes, and imperfection is never a reason to let something drop and dwindle unless it's an extreme. Imperfections can be worked on, but at the same time they can be appreciated and loved for their uniqueness. And sometimes there are things that can't be changed, and that is when you have to make the decision to accept or leave. Or maybe you need to do a little self reflection and make a little change in one's self instead. All of my friends are so different from one another, some more similar to myself while others are the complete opposite of me. But I love their special qualities that bring something diverse to my little world. Qualities that I admire but am lacking in myself. Qualities that amplify the good in my life and the good I want to express in the world. Qualities that help me open me eyes to new explorations and mindsets that keep life feeling fresh and exuberant. Qualities that make me look forward to the next day, the next minute, the next second. And these are things that I focus on and let be. Really there is no need to change a thing. 


And yes, it is true, when was the last time I have ever wanted to change a sunset? Or commented on how it could be better, more beautiful, more artistic, more dramatic? I really can't remember. And I really don't think I ever have wanted to change a sunset. Because a sunset is a very special thing. It's something that usually catches us by surprise. We look forward to it always, but we never really realize it's grandness until our eyes land upon it when we least expect it. Experiencing a sunset is always a very in-the-moment thing. And because it is exactly that, we don't have time to overanalyze, just appreciate and absorb what is in front of us. Taking its best parts and memorizing them. We might wonder if tomorrow's sunset will be just as beautiful. But once tomorrow's sunset actually does come, we won't really realize if it was more or less beautiful than the one we had just the day before. And that is the art of perception. It is what it is. Today, or tomorrow, or 5 million lightyears away from now. The less we overanalyze, or judge or change when there is no point to change at all, the more beauty we can let into our lives more effortlessly. And that is an astonishing way to live. So do it as often as you can. 

21 comments:

Suzan said...

CoOL

LIVforstyle said...

Love the way you styled your denim skirt.

Liv

www.livforstyle.net

Laura Clark said...

I really like that quote, it's totally true. Great outfit, I've been trying to thrift a jean skirt forever!

Laura
http://thefoxtrails.blogspot.com

Liz Lauren said...

so simple but insanely cool

http://hashtagliz.com

Ane Hernando said...

Love your denim skirt!! Have a nice day. Kisses


http://www.lookandchic.com/

Carina G. said...

You look so pretty ! Love your skirt !
Xoxo

www.atwednesdaysiwearpink.blogspot.pt

Janet Taylor said...

Gorgeous shoes!

jenny lau said...

you look amazing and happy.

The Sunday Mode said...

Great pictures and great backdrop! I love seeing areas of NY and the NY streets.

www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

Michèle Kruesi said...

perfection from head to toe
www.thefashionfraction.com

Isabel Rodríguez said...

Cool outfit!
http://elsecretodemistercloset.com

liana said...

Denim mini and a red lip never fails!
x x

http://labanna.blogspot.com.au/

Kesly Winona said...

Simple, but very cool! I love the colors of your outfit and I am especially obsessed with your skirt!

http://keslywinona.blogspot.com/

Layla Sprinkles said...

This is such a gorgeous post - your photos are absolutely amazing and I love it all! :)

Layla xx

http://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

Alexandra Giurgiteanu said...

Such a great post and beautiful images!
Alexandra ~ ArtMandy.ro

sepatuholig-Grace Njio said...

grrrrreat look! I love classic!

http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com
instagram.com/grace_njio

The Fashion Panda said...

Perfect casual look ! Just love it ! :)

www.thefashionpanda.be
www.thefashionpanda.be

Dina said...

Amazing words, Dylana! Have a nice weekend without judging anything :)

www.lighthousing.eu

Holly Rose said...

I always enjoy reading your text posts, they're always so poetic and I always find myself agreeing with what you have to say! & these pictures are wonderful x
Holly x
The Twins' Wardrobe

Rachel Ang said...

You are the Queen of words. Love your posts!!

Rachel x
thehappybits.blogspot.com

Michelle Lee said...

beautiful writing!


www.pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com