Thursday, October 8, 2015

Photo Diary | Tola, Nicaragua


I was incredibly nostalgic during the editing process of these photos. They warm my heart so heavily! I can hardly explain how they really make me feel. The trip I took to Nicaragua with my friend Thania was truly so unique and extremely memorable. Travel photos are my favorite kinds of photos to take. Locals in action. The vibrancy of a culture displayed on buildings, painted on alleyway walls and in things as simple and nonchalant as fruit displays on the street side market. Things so normal to the everyday local person but that are so exotic and lively to us. A feast for the our senses. I like to capture these moments that standout to me. Moments that would go unnoticed by the locals going about their everyday lives. I sometimes wondered during this trip (as I do mostly everywhere I go), do the locals see what I see? Do the colors and complex textures of their neighborhoods create a little stirring in their heart as they do to mine? Does the zoom from a wave of young men on motor bikes going around the corner in colorful shirts send a buzzing through their spine? Most likely, not, but I like to think that they sometimes see what I see, and really recognize the beauty and uniqueness of where they live. But like they always say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Lucky enough, the opportunity for me to travel and explore has grown tenfold in the past year. Which means more things for me to share with you all. This trip was paid for by little brand collaborations Thania and I worked on throughout our stay, and we were lucky enough to be hosted by one of the most wonderful resorts in exchange for social media coverage (thank you Aqua Wellness Resort!!). This might not be the most conventional way to travel and get to the places one has always dreamed to visit, but it's how we make it work. Travel is work. Work is travel. That's how I like to think about it nowadays. It's not too shabby of a combination, I must say. Every trip I take is not just content for the blog and beautiful photographs to inspire you to book a flight and pack a bag, but also a way for me to open my own eyes and grow personally. To look around me not just for the beauty on the outside of where I happen to be, but the real roots of a culture and its development and changes. It's all so intriguing to me. Luckily for us, on this trip we go to be guided by many who are so knowledgeable about Nicaragua and its local industry, both the good and the bad, and the ways that entrepreneurs are coming in to build up the country in a way that both preserves and is forward-thinking. The result of this trip has left me feeling really proud of the country and excited for where it is heading . . . not a country that gives in to the taints of tourist traps and overpriced adventure tours, but one that celebrates and cherishes its beginnings and its natural surroundings. It's peaceful and desolate beaches. It's sparkling waves and calm coves. It's luscious mountains and forests. Agricultural workers hanging off the bag of a rainbow colored truck, heading to their next job. The warm aroma of cacao beans around every corner in the city. Everything still felt so untouched here. 

The best closure to my trip was my driver to the airport who was a born and raised Nicaraguan man who conversed with me our entire 2 hour trek to the airport. He shared his stories. I shared mine. Funnily enough, he lived in Southern California for a solid two years doing construction work, in a city that my uncle currently resides in. But he said he came back to Nicaragua because he missed it so much. He proclaimed his love for his country, in-between sporadic bursts of cursing the police who would stop him every now and then for speeding or overtaking a car (his excuse was that he had to get the pretty lady in the back to the airport so she doesn't miss her flight). He was so sweet. And he held so much pride for his country, despite its downfalls. It is his home. I will always remember the smile on this face that he kept on the entire ride to the airport. It reminded me of the colors I saw this day on our way to Granada, passing through the city of Tola. So beautifully colorful and bustling. Everyone on the go. Sometimes we get so caught up in the craziness of our own lives, the world seems to revolve just around us. Traveling is one of the best reminders to get outside that bubble . . . to realize the lives in existence in so many amazing parts of the world. Lives fabulous, lives far from fabulous and every sort of life in-between. It really puts things into perspective. 

Take a peek at this photo diary, and I hope it gives you that extra push to visit Nicaragua and explore its little wonders and its large realities yourself. Part 2 coming soon. Expect even more color ;)



















11 comments:

Liz Lauren said...

such great photos. Same planet, different world.

Ray-Ban Giveaway on blog

http://hashtagliz.com

Laura Clark said...

Such gorgeous photos! Everything is so colorful. I definitely didn't need an extra push to visit Nicaragua, but this sure gave me one!

Laura

http://thefoxtrails.blogspot.com

Rachel Ang said...

This is why I love to travel so much. The different way people live, the different cultures teach us and enrich us so much! Enjoyed the post and pictures!

Rachel x
thehappybits.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

The colors are so rich!!!! I can't stop looking at these pictures!!

xo

Rachel

►Nadush said...

lovely photos !! :)

my blog : THE COLORFUL THOUGHTS

Steph said...

Keep inspiring with posts like this :) xo

The Sunday Mode said...

Wow that view off the mountain looks insanely beautiful. I love travel posts like this because it's so refreshing to see other cultures.

www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

Cherie Tang said...

LOVE the editing style of these photos! :)
https://cherieedle.blogspot.com/

Apneet said...

These photos are too good, Dylana! Love the post.

soph // and other things said...

Such a feast for the eyes. Love all the colourful buildings.

Anonymous said...

Tropical jungle lovely dylana